We’re going to start this one off with a quote from the artist formerly known as Kanye West:
“Do you lock yourself in a room doing 5 beats a day for three summers? That’s a different world like Kree Summers, I deserve to do these numbers.”
Every single successful artist knows one thing: you need to create. A lot.
Artists like Drake, Kanye, Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, Travis Scott, Kendrick Lamar – the list goes on – don’t just create 3 songs, put them on Soundcloud and then all the sudden start selling out shows and driving Bughattis.
They actually create and write hundreds and HUNDREDS of songs before most people have ever heard of them. They know the important of working on their craft and developing themselves as an artist. Trying out different vibes, sounds, flows, and lyrics until they have a clear vision for their artistry.
There are a few things you need to do when you’re trying to hone in on your artistry and get to the level of a successful artist:
- Intentionally and Consistently Create. You MUST be consistent with your lyrics, recording, and output in order to start improving and building your artistry. This means as much and as often as possible, be in the studio working on your craft.
- Live Life with Eyes Open. Be aware of yourself and your emotions. Be in-tune with the people around you. Be present in your environment. This gives you an invaluable perspective on life that only you can develop. And it’s this perspective on life that other people are interested in and will relate with.
- Release Your Music and Listen to Whoever is Listening. It’s easy to simply put out a song on Soundcloud and be done with it. But that’s only 50% of the work. You need to LISTEN to your audience – whether it’s 50 people or 5,000 people. We get so close to the art we create that it’s hard to get a true perspective on it sometimes – that’s where your audience can help you understand what is working and what isn’t.
This isn’t a new concept. It’s why artists like J. Cole have become so insanely great – they put out a bunch of mixtapes, singles, and albums and they listen to their fans. They live life intentionally and they create from within.
Now, here’s some things you need in order to do this:
- Time to yourself. You need to reflect and spend time on you. Whether this means hitting the gym, taking walks, or even just sitting and thinking.
- Content that inspires you. You need to consume content that inspires you. Whether it’s movies, TV, video games, music, or literature, you need to find content that makes you feel things, and then consume it.
- Material to work with. This means you need a constant stream of tracks and ideas delivered to you that you can be inspired by and work with to actually create. Set aside a space and time dedicated to working on your craft – whether it’s your studio or another person’s studio, it’s important to ALWAYS be creating something new.
It’s ok if you make a song that sucks. It’s ok if you make 10 songs in a row that suck. You’re just clearing the pipes and working on your skills. Find the positive parts of what you’ve made and use those moving forward.
We want to help with this process because we want you to succeed. That’s the whole reason we started PALA Sound Shop. The best way we can help is with beats – we upload new beats every single day, so there is always something cutting edge and new for you to work with. As a member, you also get to download a steady stream of high quality full beats that are perfect to work with. This is an important ingredient to developing your artistry, and we want to help you with that.
So let us know if you have any questions along the way – we’re always happy to help. Hit up our support team and they’ll get you the answers you need right away. Go write a hit.